Saturday, September 10

spinach dip!

So, I'm a snack fanatic. I snack on just about anything, just about anytime of the day. And one of my favorite things to snack on would have to be dips and all the number of things that can be used as a vessel to eat said dips - like pita bread, chips, crackers, melba toast, vegtables, etc. So today I decided I'd make the mecca of all delicious dips: spinach dip. But oh wait, I'm not just making the dip, no no. I did a little internet surfing and found this gem of a recipe from the mouthwatering food blog Picky Palate for creating Baked Spinach Dip Mini Bread Bowls and well, why not, right? So brace yourself as I a) attempt my first blog post and b) show you a step by step of how I made both concoctions and how they turned out - no laughing please!

First I should probably mention that I'm using a modified version of this spinach dip recipe. Modified because I think real mayo is gross (sorry Dylan!) and that's what the original recipe calls for.

So here are the ingredients:
1 package of  frozen chopped spinach
1 container of sour cream
1 cup of Miracle Whip mayo
1 package Knorr's Vegetable soup mix
1 small can of water chestnuts
4 scallions
1 whole grain loaf of bread (to put the dip into)
1 roll of Pillsbury french loaf (for the Mini-Bowls)
Here's the lineup! Super easy!
After preheating the oven to 350 to get ready for the Mini-Bowls,
I mixed together my container of sour cream and 1 cup of mayo. LOOKS DELISH ALREADY.

Next I chopped up my scallions and water chestnuts into tiny bits.



And added them, as well as the Knorrs Veggie Mix onto my sour cream/mayo medley!


Next, I steamed/drained/and chopped up about 3/4 of this bag of spinach.
The bag said chopped, but their idea of chopped was unacceptable so I had to improvise.


I then added it to the rest of the ingredients and mixed until it looked edible.

I portioned some out for the Mini-Bowls and stuck the rest in the fridge, because the recipe said for
best results, let chill for about 2 hours before dipping. (if you can last that long!)


 I then chopped up my french roll loaf

 Added them to my cupcake pan, molding them to create a bowl shape


And took my smallest spoon and scooped a dollop of my mixture into the center of each mold.
I added a dash of garlic salt and cheese on top because well, it felt right.

  Then popped them into the oven for 15 minutes!
 

 I (kind of) patiently waited until this happened!


Aren't they adorable? I was so pleased (surprised really) with how well they turned out.

My friend stopped over before work and got a treat!


After about two hours, most of the Mini-Bowls had gone to a happy place, and
the rest of the dip was cooled and ready to go, so I hollowed out the loaf of bread and voila!




Overall I'd say it was a success! I didn't nick any fingers or burn myself in the process and 
I got to say things like dollop and voila, which I rarely ever get the chance to do.




Hope you enjoyed!




1 comments:

Kayla said...

They were amazing! you did such a great job :)

Post a Comment