Saturday, November 19

there's more to life than books, you know. but not much more.

-->
Happy Weekend! 

The semester is quickly coming to an end and I have mixed feelings about it. I'm thrilled to finish up but with this semester down, I only have one left. And after that...ah! I'm not ready to be done and have a degree. I like my little bubble. But, it's happening and I'm going to have to go with it. 

So, I'm taking an Editing and Publishing class at my college and lately we've been talking a lot about E-books and the impact technology has/will have on print. Will "e-ink" take over? Will books become relics or classic items like records? Will the publishing world become irrelevant and how are people adapting to a slow turning paperless world? And while we didn't really come up with any answers...I think we came to the conclusion that we can't do anything about their impedance on our world. We need to embrace change and try to imagine a world where the two forms can co-exist. Why does it have to be one of the other? Our society is ever-changing and we can either hop on the train or get hit by the train. Or...stand of to the side and watch it pass you by, I guess. 

I for one can understand and accept what's happening. I believe both e-readers and print books have a place in our world. But I must admit, I like to romanticize book reading - I do not feel "cozy" curling up with a warm blanket, some coffee, and a piece of plastic and machinery. I like the feel of books - folding pages and cracking the spine - scribbling notes in margins and underlined favorite quotes. I like to make bookmarks and press flowers in the pages and there's just something about buying a used book that's been loved and treasured by someone before you that you can't quite get from anything else. And most importantly, I cannot imagine some day owning a home that does not have gorgeous library inside. So I thought I'd share some library/stacks/print inspiration! All images found either from a Tumblr I follow called Tea, Coffee, and Books or Pinterest!






And I'll leave you with this quote by Stephen Fry, to keep you imagining a world where book lovers will continue to read no matter what the form:




"Books are no more threatened by Kindle than stairs by elevators."



Now go read something!



0 comments:

Post a Comment